Free NHS Eye Examinations
Regular eye examinations are important for everyone regardless of whether or not you need glasses.
An eye examination checks much more than just your prescription. It tests for signs of eye disease and general health problems such as diabetes. Many sight and even life threatening conditions can be detected through regular examinations.
You are entitled to a free NHS sight test if you are:
- Under 16
- Under 19 in full-time education
- Over 60
- A person (or a partner of someone) on Income Support, Disabled Person’s Tax Credit, income-based Job-Seeker’s Allowance, or Working Families’ Tax Credit
- A holder (or a partner of a holder) of an exemption certificate (HC2)
- A person who needs certain complex lenses
- Diagnosed diabetic or with glaucoma
- Aged 40 or over and are the brother, sister or child of a diagnosed glaucoma patient.
For more information on whether you qualify for a free eye test contact NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.